For my third sweater of the year, I chose a Norwegian style pullover. Using yarn from my stash, I put together a color combination that is close to, but not exactly like, the traditional Navy, Cream and red usually found in the Norwegian Marius Ski Sweater. This sweater features drop set-in sleeves, and a folded collar, two techniques I had yet to try.
Here are a few of the changes I made to this pattern:
Gauge – I chose to go down a needle size because some of the yarns I used for the colorwork were thinner weight. I used US 5 needle for the body, and US 3 for the ribbing. Because of the tighter gauge I cast on 232sts, somewhere between the Medium and Large size.
Length – I slightly lengthened the body by adding 1” of ribbing and an additional 1” of main body knitting before beginning decreases
Waist Shaping – I wanted a looser fitting sweater so I only decreased 3 times for the waist shaping.
Sleeves – The technique this pattern uses is to cast on stitches to be used in ribbing, then decrease when you switch to the body. While I didn’t mind this effect in the body itself, in the sleeves it seemed to create an extra-large cuff. I started the sleeves again, this time only casting on the amount of stiches that would have remained after the decreasing.
I really enjoyed this sweater and am thinking I may one day knit a men’s version for my husband, in some different combination of colors.
So far in this “2016 – Year of the Sweater” I have knit one worsted weight sweater, one sport weight and one DK weight. I have knit modular sleeves with short row shaping, yoke sleeves with slight raglan shaping, and drop set-in sleeves. In order to really try it all, I will have to be sure and add a bulky weight and fingering weight sweater to my queue. As well as some additional sleeve constructions.
Up next: I have two sweaters in the works right now, of my own design! While simultaneously making some plans for warmer weather sweaters. Here are the two “summer sweaters” I am considering: Sous Sous and Sand Pullover.
There are some additional notes for this sweater on my Ravelry project page.